keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

let's eat cake!

When someone acknowledges my work as a source of inspiration for their creativity, I’m not only humbled, but am motivated to continue being creative. Recently, my profile appeared on Queen City Cake Studio, a blog that features cake creations by blogger Toni Johnson and others. One of the questions Toni sent me to ponder was about my favorite food. Part of my answer included the following, “Being equipped with a serious foundation for how food is prepared unleashed a desire to play in the kitchen that has never gotten old; learning how to make a palatable meal when I’ve messed something up became a metaphor for how to manage life’s messes.” As I reviewed my responses to all of her questions before I hit send, I did a double take when I read the above passage; I did not remember typing those words, but they made so much sense! The skills required to unscramble a scrambled mess of things comes with practice, a willingness to take a good look at what contributed to the mess and the patience to get it right sometimes through more attempts than we have ingredients for. But when it’s worth it, we keep working at it and isn’t it funny how things get infused into our being and where they originate.

Looking over the questions that focused on my love of being in the kitchen and my artistic creativity provided food for thought that made me sit down for a meal rather than a quick snack. I happen to know the woman who pens Queen City, have actually tasted Toni's confections and was delighted that photographs on my July 3rd blog that referenced July 4th challenged her to create this three-tiered sensation!

Makes me want to celebrate and eat some cake, which I have to go in search of so as I do...  

keep your peepers open!®

photo courtesy of Toni Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment