keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, September 25, 2011

a spoon full of funny

I found myself sitting in the dark again only this time not in a movie theatre by myself but in a huge room with hundreds of others who along with me came for the pain. Three hours later, I stumbled out of that room with cramps in my stomach, a raw throat and two black eyes...my mascara was running from laughing so hard that I cried while watching the comedian that is Paul Mooney. OMGoddess that man is a riot!

Comedy is an art form that I do admire. I couldn’t help but note as I snorted, hooted and fell out of my seat over and over again, that we as an audience provide a page on which to write line after line, weave story after story. Linking what was scribed into the air an hour before to the immediate madness without being able to actually go back and read what was said earlier is the mark of one who knows his craft. Sure I’ve seen a comedian at work before however, this was the first time I understood that stand-up comedy is a masterpiece created moment to moment inspired by both the times in which we live, political and otherwise, and the
audience. Unlike other artistic expressions, there can be no replication so you just have to be there for the unveiling that is continuous and in this case went on non-stop from 10:30 pm to 1:30 am; my throat is still in recovery.

The ability to bring humor to sensitive subjects, to be downright offensive while at the same time tickling our funny bone, to deliver one-liners that knock a heckler out yet leaves him doubled over in hysterical admiration is a creative talent that not all can master. And while the truth can hurt, some of its bitterness is better swallowed with a spoon full of funny so lighten up and…

keep your peepers open!®

ps…happy birthday to that skinny little bitch…she’s the one who invited a group of us girls to join her for the riot @ the Riot! all the best to ya honey and in a word that is truly yours...CHEERS!

photo of paul mooney from www.riotactcomedy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment