keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, January 22, 2012

kismet

When I began to once again keep a written and visual journal this past October my intention was to make entries every evening before I went to sleep. I actually took my 12” x 17” book to Italy so I wouldn’t miss that time for me. Though I haven’t kept to writing in it nightly, I do return to it often enough and have continued to use the pages as small canvases for lots of different artistic creations. You see, I also intended using the journal as a personal gallery for my eyes only but it seems that a new series is birthing itself and I am a pleased momma who must show them off! These collages begin with torn paper crowns that are not simple in construction but are completed in one sitting. My challenge truly commences as I work out the face and a storyline unfolds about who is coming to life. Actually this is one of the things that keeps me returning to my journal; it may take weeks before the entire piece fully reveals itself and something inside of me is not at rest until it does. But…I am patient (note to self...is this not one of my life struggles? who knew there was more to this than just a delightful outcome!).

On the 9th of this month, I finished a head piece and foolishly attempted to find a face immediately (did I just say I was patient?). Talk about frustrating, I know there is a process so I’m not sure why I decided to change it. Anyway, I received a new batch of magazines last week. As I flipped through, there before me were things that presented themselves as possibilities for eyes and a mouth so snatch them out I did and left them on my coffee table.

It was cold and snowy when I woke up yesterday morning, a perfect reason to stay in bed, finish reading the magazines and oh yes it is kismet, there within the story of who was to come came as I started constructing a hand from a picture of snow covered pine needles…


…the message that accompanied this zany character when I sent out a Saturday greeting was, “stay snug as a bug on this chilly, snowy day!” Perhaps another message is…

keep your peepers open!®

ah, ha...think I found a name for the series…

No comments:

Post a Comment