keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

one pot only

I do love a good bowl of soup when it’s cold out, recently ran across a recipe in Whole Living magazine that I enjoyed so much, I made it two weeks in a row! Of course, I changed it up just a bit, but for once I didn’t stray too far from the original ingredients and I followed the directions for cooking to the letter.

Chicken, Collard Green & Sweet Potato Soup
Serves 6 to 8

2 Tbsp light olive oil (recipe used vegetable oil)
2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (they used breasts)
1 small chopped Vidalia onion (my preference since recipe wasn’t specific)
1 stalk celery, chopped
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
1 lb. sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 cups coarsely chopped collard greens (I used frozen, recipe fresh)
4 cups low sodium chicken stock
2 cups water
1 ½ cups cooked brown rice
Salt, pepper, garlic powder (recipe didn’t call for garlic powder)

In a heavy bottomed pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder and sear until cooked through, takes about 6 minutes per side. The chicken will stick to bottom of pot but that’s okay. Remove and set aside.

Add onion and celery, cook about 4 minutes until tender. Add vinegar and deglaze the pot, scraping up any brown bits with a wooden spoon. Add sweet potatoes, collard greens, stock and water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender.

Shred chicken, add it and rice to pot until both are heated through. Season with salt and pepper and serve!

This soup is not only yummy, tasty but very satisfying and filling hence my desire to make and share it with others weekly. Perhaps I’ll get around to using fresh collards when I feel like spending a little more time prepping but I like the extra flavor that the thighs provide, the sweetness of the Vidalia, and I don’t have or use vegetable oil so those changes will stand. Both times I made it, I stood at the stove and devoured!


This variation on chicken soup tastes great from the first day to the last, takes a short time to make, and once finished doesn’t need anything more than a bowl and spoon. So stir some up, stay warm and…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment