keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, February 19, 2012

every woman

This year, Black History Month is focusing on women. Funny…this morning I have stopped and started a few ideas for the blog all having to do with creative females but can’t seem to focus. Rather than sit here and make myself nuts, let me share a couple of quick thoughts that are roaming around my head based on recent happenings…

Every generation brings forth the next level of creative expression…The recent performances of female vocalists on live broadcasts like the Grammy’s and Super Bowl has generated lively conversations in both my personal and professional circles of women about who came first when it comes to costumed performers. I have to enlighten some of the younger ladies; Lady Gaga, Madonna and Nicki Minaj have only put their spin on shock value onstage outfits, they are far from originating the concept. Don’t believe me? Then take a moment to search for and be prepared to give homage to Grace Jones and Josephine Baker!


The recent deaths of two women with very distinctive voices one a blonde bombshell, the other a pop diva…Etta James rocks my house on any given day with that gutsy, soulful, sometimes raunchy voice that moves easily between so many music genres. I have several of her CD’s, truly love one where she pays tribute to Billie Holiday (and oh, how I adore her!). While I don’t own anything by Whitney Houston, her contribution to the world-wide songbook is undeniable. I do have a few favorites by her and certainly can sing along with so many Whitney songs when they come on the radio or over a speaker as I move about public spaces. Since female vocalists more often than not serve as the background when I sit down to create feminine collage images, I am most appreciative for the catalog of music these women generated for us to enjoy forever.

So as the month progresses, I will continue to reflect on the contributions of every woman both famous and not, Black or any other color, keeping in mind that I have bits and pieces of many women in me. Come to think of it, we all do so consider that and as you do…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment