keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

just duckie

A funny thing happened on the way to my office. After parking my car at a garage under a very busy business building near Capitol Hill, I went upstairs to wait for the shuttle that takes me to work, a familiar routine that I’ve repeated almost daily for many years now. The most I’ve seen out front are vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists in transit; it’s all so very mundane except for the flowers, trees and clothing that change with the seasons. But on that fine spring morning as I leisurely emerged from the building, walked up the steps to the sidewalk, there seemed to be nobody walking, very few cars or anyone else waiting for the shuttle. There was a tourist with a camera hovering around the pansy garden, funny because the flowers weren’t all that exciting. As I got closer, we exchanged pleasantries and then I saw them.


It was odd to see a pair of ducks on Mass Avenue, not a pond in sight. My silly self wondered if they had arrived at Union Station a few blocks up and waddled down to board the shuttle (I work at a hospital, were they going to visit a patient?) I giggled to myself as I snapped a few photos, careful not to disturb them. A few days later in a town an hour or so from the District, I happened upon another pair that upon first glance, had feathers similar to those on the ducks I had seen in Washington (cousins maybe?). The difference was only apparent in the male whose colors varied just a bit, the little black marking on his beak more striking and he looked like he was pissed at his chick who was completely ignoring his quacking from the sidewalk along the canal!


I used to wonder why the male in so many species of birds is adorned with color and other interesting features while the female is rather mundane. Now I laugh with envy knowing that those little women spend nary a moment fluffing up for attention -- looking good is men’s work, whether all that fuss is worth it is left up to the girls! We really could learn a few things from the creatures around us.

Hope your day is just duckie and as always…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment