keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, January 20, 2013

hail to the chief

Every four years, what I have always called a sleepy ball-gown southern town comes alive as it prepares for the most important event in this country -- inauguration day. Today I will detour from things I usually write about to venture not too far into the political arena to recognize that our first Black Leader of the Free World will be sworn into office for his second term behind closed doors this very Sunday. On Martin Luther King’s birthday, Barack Obama will take the oath on the world stage 150 years after Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation making tomorrow quite a historical moment; I’m more than glad that I will witness such an occasion.


Four years ago, this native Washingtonian, a girl proud to have been born in this sleepy southern ball-gown town, stood on the Mall with millions as President Obama took office. I don’t know when my feet detached from my body so frozen were they but it didn’t matter -- I had to be out there for all those who fought and died to make such a moment possible. So on this Sunday as I sit down to write, that thought coupled with conversations with close friends are the inspiration for the words I scribe. In particular something my BFF emailed and I quote, “You can lead a man to knowledge, but you can’t make him think.” My response... how true that is girlfriend! I often say if folks who take the time and brain matter to meticulously strategize on ways to bring and do harm to others, to steal period be it from the wealthy or the poor used all that energy for good, what a wonderful world it would be. It begs the question, “What would our collective ancestors make of all the continued misuse of power, education, and intelligence born with or book gained that has risen to new heights and depths?” I wonder and so should we all.

But for now, I will refrain from more oration from my small soap box, stepping down to bask with pride about all that is happening here in the Seat of the Nation, this southern town that is quite awake as it prepares to host lots of balls, gowns and history. And as we Hail to the Chief remember to…

keep your peepers open!®

ps…thanks sds and lrh

No comments:

Post a Comment