keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, October 13, 2013

mosaic maroc

I became interested in Morocco when I came across a book filled with page after page of various textiles and vibrant colors over 25 years ago. I was fascinated with what I saw solidifying within a desire to visit some day in the future. Now that I have been there, I can say that Morocco is much more than ceramic tiles and fabrics; it is a country that is one huge mosaic of both colorful and muted textures, landscapes, climates (they do have snow in some regions), people, clothing, architecture, cultures, and foods. Often, I didn’t know which way to look, sometimes just taking it all in rather than taking photographs. That said, I was enthralled with and not disappointed by the many stone/ceramic/enamel mosaics and patterns throughout each city we visited be they on buildings, floors, ceilings, tables, pottery, or furniture. Here are just a few…








I also love the way lettering is worked into the patterns…



Came across this fossil that seemed to be the top of a heart…


It was wonderful to live a dream and though I can now cross Morocco off of my list of places to go, I do believe I will return some day to spend some relaxed concentrated time in a couple of cities. Touring is a great way to cover lots of territory and we did have time off (spent hours on this outdoor bed by the pool talking with my girlfriends until dark),


plus my little group hired a private guide one day as well as split away from the group to do and go to some of the places that were not included in our package. However, the itinerary can be a bit grueling -- two consecutive days we were on the bus for 8 hours, goes by faster than you think and we stopped every 1 ½ hours -- with early wake-up calls. That said the only way to see all of Morocco is to fly to a specific city then drive or be driven, something I came to understand once I understood the lay of the land. Speaking of which, I am still adjusting to being back in my own land, going to try to catch a nap before dawn. I’ll leave the light on…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment