keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, June 29, 2014

green days

Ten days ago I embarked on a secret journey, secret because I did not tell anyone due to a fear of failure.

Next month, I will have hip replacement surgery which really motivated me to get my body temple together. I do believe that all things fall into place once the intention is set; while flipping the channels I saw a woman talking about a cleanse which caught my attention. I ordered the book, read it in one quick sitting. Could I drink three green smoothies each day for 10 days? Doubt said, “Maybe you should just stick to the modified plan where you eat one meal per day.” I brushed away that naysayer, picked a start date, went grocery shopping, ate a big hamburger the day before I was to begin and cancelled an appointment to do a supervised cleansing. There was just no need to pay someone $200 mainly because I felt like I needed to report in so I could be held accountable. I could do this. Discipline and tenacity said go for it.

I blended with enthusiasm on day 1 which went well, the taste of the smoothie fresh and appealing. By day 5, I was a little tired of so much liquid plus that days’ drink was not yummy, the after taste of stevia bitter in my mouth. Feeling a little sick, admittedly, I let my foot drag the ground a bit promising myself to pull it
back up on the wagon the next day; the universe gave me a boost when the smoothie on day 6 was a festive bright green made from spinach, pineapple, bananas, and peaches. It was scrumptious, nutritious and a motivator but by noon on day 7, my body needed food.

I honored what it requested mindful of the fact that I should not chomp down on a huge crazy meal since essentially I had not been eating for a week. The next day I felt better, good about the fact that I listened to myself AND did not bounce onto the road as the wagon pulled away. Then a tiny voice in my head reminded me that this journey was for me, no one else, the steps and stumbles mine alone. Onward I pressed and now I have arrived at the last day feeling triumphant sans some tired old weight that I started to pick up when I moved to DC 14 years ago. While releasing pounds is a huge plus, what I needed to see was that I could get my body ready to go into surgery, healthy and well all by myself, that paying another person to keep me in check was not going to help me reinforce belief in my own inner strength, that sometimes we have to shut out everyone else in order to hear the inner guide as it leads us to our destination.

Of course, there is the road ahead and being unable to drive this summer will allow me to focus on the continued restoration of my body temple. Actually I like green smoothies. Up to now, I had purchased bottled versions however this past week I have seen how easy they are to whip up fresh each day. Since there are so many tempting recipes available to try, having them as an alternative or should I say replacement to the bagel habit I have a jump start in breaking will be perfect for my renewal. Try green and…

keep your peepers open!®


No comments:

Post a Comment