keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, June 8, 2014

revival


I was in a local neighborhood restaurant when I noticed they were playing record albums. Watching the vinyl spinning on the turntable gave me a little chill thrill taking me back to my days as a DJ toting around crates filled with hundreds of LP’s. I love nostalgic moments that tickle my soul and spirit. From time to time, parking in a spot from sometime back when gives me a chance to reconnect with pleasant memories -- shiny black discs turning round and round, placing the needle on the exact start line, selecting just the right sequence; I am back in the booth doing my prime time Saturday evening radio show, just me, my records, a dim light with an eye and hand working in precision and an ear that just knew.

My vintage car doesn’t have a CD player so when I decide to switch off the radio, I pop in tapes I made years ago of seriously good music from the 80’s and 90’s. Recently, while cleaning, I stumbled upon several unmarked cassettes that got me to rockin’ once I played them during a long drive. Cut after cut surprised me, had me poppin’ my fingers, shakin’ my shoulder and singing at the top of my lungs. I have to say that my
summer soundtrack is going to include them in heavy rotation for so many reasons, Typical Male by Tina Turner and Shiver by George Benson being two of them. Both of these artists recorded so many great songs, these two happen to be in my list of favorites by them. I haven’t found any new music for the hot months just yet so who knows, maybe an oldies revival will be all that I need to keep me moving right on up to September!

Clearly there are things from our past that do have a place in the present. Groove on this summer and…

keep your peepers open!®


No comments:

Post a Comment