keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, January 11, 2015

gift of the season

The weather after Christmas was unseasonably warm in Virginia Beach which is where I spent a few days with family for part of the holiday. I knew I had to get to the beach to finally make up for the trip I missed most of all during the time I was recovering from surgery last summer. Shoes off, I felt the heavenly chill of slightly warmed sand beneath my toes, collected a few shells and with pure abandonment waded into the ocean screaming with delight as the icy surf washed over my feet and ankles. It was exhilarating!



I visited a place where one could disappear into a not too dense woods of pine trees flanking a sandy path chock full of picturesque scenes in nature that led to a gorgeous lake. A peaceful walk amongst the quiet on a warm day was a treat that took me right back to a day when I stood at the window trying to balance myself on the walker, wishing I could go outside.





And then there was Stumpy Lake at sunset; I'm still in awe of the many trees sprouting from beneath the still surface, their tall bodies casting reflections in the watery mirror below.




I also tooled about in a few artsy stores in the town of Ghent, a light sweater around my shoulders, a scarf tied loosely about my neck, and as I did it indeed felt that in those few days I had made up for a summer missed, a very unexpected Christmas gift captured in pictures and within.



keep your peepers open!®

1 comment:

  1. I believe that you have to have these moments of exhilaration to sustain you through the mountains and valleys of life. From icy waters to the feeling of warm sand, these are all reminders to be in the moment...and most of all...to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete