keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, April 26, 2015

spreadin' the news

I haven’t taught a goddess workshop in over a year, I’m not officially teaching one now though I am working through a series of team building sessions with a group of dynamic women; my decision to dedicate an evening to creating images that represent their true self using collage proved to be quite fruitful for all including me.

Time has passed since I made a collage goddess and what normally happens when I teach is that I too sit down to work when my participants get busy. While recuperating last year, I began to once again collect pictures that appealed to me as I flipped through catalogs or read magazines. I put my collection, a pair of scissors I like, and some special collage glue into a small canvas bag this past Wednesday to take with me for the evening session. I had no idea if anyone, meaning the beings that come to life beneath my fingers, would show up, was quietly delighted as, once I put on some music, specifically female singers singing in Portuguese, my body succumbed to a familiar trance, eyes focused on pieces, fingers guided to cut shapes as if they have been doing it every day and someone spoke up…

“choices” with her two purses and sunglasses emerged easily; a satisfaction that is actually different from what I feel when I edit photos spread through my limbs. When I got home, I continued to work seeing a pregnant belly blowing in the animal print scarf, a protruding behind in the curvature of a gorgeous sculpture rich in turquoise. Before long, “fertile” birthed herself.


Both of the pieces I designed have roots in the discussion that took place on Wednesday evening. I recall talk about the various meanings of the word fertility when one person made reference to the sacredness of the jewel that rests between our legs. So much insight and revelation was born from that exchange. We talked about the right to choose who we share ourselves with, how we come to the paths we walk in life, and much more. Now, as I type, I realize the evolution and names of my collaged paper goddesses are all about the current happenings in my personal life; the papers I pulled once again came together to spread news for me to review from a newfound perspective.

Stay open to what you need to know when you need to know it as you...

keep your peepers open!®

1 comment: