keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, August 9, 2015

flying free

I love when a butterfly flutters around me. As a child, I wanted to capture them to keep forever not knowing that by placing them in a jar, I abruptly ended what they had worked long and hard to do which in part, is to fly free.

Recently, they have been all around me in various natural settings, sometimes breezing so close to my face, I could almost feel their beating wings. The first time it happened, I stilled myself to watch this gorgeous creature as it settled onto a flower, capturing it on film rather than with my hands. Each time I found myself in their midst, I grew quiet to observe and was rewarded with stunning images. I felt a distinctive exhilaration especially when several different ones jockeyed for a spot to land and pose. Seeing so many of them close enough to touch evoked a joyous wonder that now, all grown up, tickled me with childlike glee.








A weekend ago, I sat watching lots of butterflies glide freely through the air. Floating over gardens, they would disappear only to lift off from wherever they landed continuing their life journey. On that day, I resisted the temptation to pull out my camera choosing instead to internally record the image of the dance rather than a still shot. Now, when I close my eyes, I see the movement of their flight, feel the warmth of summer mingling with a breeze under the canopy, hear the peace in that moment, taste green tea with honey on my lips, and smell a symphony of aromatics that can't be bottled.


Butterflies symbolize transformation and joy, hope, new beginnings; I love the package in which my message was delivered.

keep your peepers open! ®

No comments:

Post a Comment