keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

coifed & done

I used to be a serious clothes horse. When I got my first job, I amassed 30 outfits. Tailored jackets, jersey dresses, two-piece silk numbers, croc pumps, peep-toe sling back heels…never was it necessary to repeat a get up during any given month. I was very productive at the office. My second gig was more creative but WAY too corporate requiring that everyone dress in suits. Uniforms do not agree with me at all; I was not so productive or creative. What was a girl to do? I think it was then that I began to pay serious attention to accessories. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always had a penchant for accessories of all sorts and wore jewels with those 30 outfits. Most of it was what my grandmomma called real or good jewelry. Those monkey suits needed help so I swapped pearl studs for pearls that dangled from matte gold spheres, a few dainty silver bangles for a luscious hammered silver cuff. Each little hint of finery on my drab landscape boosted my spirits helping me to think outside the box. Though I was still miserable, I did find comfort in my peaceful rebellion.

When I moved from NYC, I was not sure what the next job would be but very sure that I would do less with dress and more with embellishment. I packed up a ridiculous indulgence of clothing; the shelters got some, an organization that provided suits to women entering the workforce got the rest. To this day, I only have the clothes I wear in my closet, no more, no less. But oh do I have JEWELS! I am only coifed & done if I have on earrings and lipstick. Even if I’m headed to a workout, I work it out so that earrings and headscarf or baseball cap are in simpatico! When I sit down to the table to create part of my ritual calls for me to be adorned with jewelry. Whatever I am done up in each day is determined by what combination of jewels I am feeling when I wake up. No longer side dishes to enhance the main course, my treasures are now la pièce de résistance!

One of my favorite haunts for exquisite tribal and ethnic jewelry and accessories for the home is owned by someone whose friendship I cherish (she also designs some of the pieces). The next time you are in Washington, DC on a Saturday, do yourself a favor. Stop by Boveda-Tribes, 3165 Mt. Pleasant St. NW and…

keep your peepers open! ®

1 comment:

  1. jewelry has held a special place in culture for thousands upon thouands of years. its design and materials can tell you plenty about the region and people from which the piece comes. hilltribe, ndebele beadwork, tuareg,berber,turkeman, masai,dogon.
    though i have only traveled a mosdest amount, i can say that jewelry holds a sacred spot for women around the world. whether in the desert, along the riverbanks, in the mountain areas, inland or along a gorge, women adorn their bodies with jewelry. they wear it while carrying heavy loads to the market, working the land,helping with the livestock near water holes, and trailing in the caravan. it may be layered stings filled with colorful glass beads, boar hair bangles from wrist to elbow,earrings that cuff the lobes with hammered silver and resin or it just might be neck rings made of pure gold.
    like the eclecticeye blogger, for these women clothes seem to be something they wear to cover up, a back drop to what really makes them feel beautiful... their jewelry.

    ReplyDelete