keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

j. walkin'

In my quest for total health and wellness I try to find innovative ways to move and/or creative things to do while moving my body. My trainer recently seduced me into something I thought my body was incapable of doing based on old injuries. She lured me into j. walkin’! Now this concept is nothing new but I thought she had put a creative spin on my routine so I’d stick with it. I’m sure you’ve heard of or even experienced jogging sprints followed by walking intervals on the treadmill. (Ok, I said it was nothing new.) The first time I did it I loved it, couldn’t wait to do it again. During subsequent sessions...not so much. "Is she trying to kill me? Am I going to pass out? WILL I EVER WALK AGAIN?" I wanted to get off that machine and go out(the)doors. But each time I managed to make it through, much like I have when faced with other challenges.
I fell in love with walking outdoors during a very low period in my life. The only thing I felt in control of at that time was taking care of my body. Though it was freezing out, I bundled up and headed out for a walk along the river. With each step, a bit of anxiety seeped from my feet into the earth below and as I climbed the hill towards home, I was totally rejuvenated. One of the trainers thinks I should come into the studio to do cardio but as long as it is warm and the weather is cooperative I will be one with nature on the days when I’m not training. I feel embraced when a cool breeze suddenly brushes across my chest, smile joyously when the sun winks at me from behind the hill, giggle with such glee when a butterfly flutters around my head and am washed with a sense of calm at the sound of water. Each spring, I map out a new route, then go back to take pictures along the way. Anytime I wish, I can relive my walk through these vivid photos no matter the weather or time of day.

As mentioned in a previous post, this year my eyes seemed to be drawn to so many things around me. Up, down and around I captured plants, tree, flowers, sculpture, sidewalks, water and did you know there are hundreds of different manhole and other covers on the sidewalks and in the street? I was fascinated and have taken hundreds of pictures with my I Phone that I will share periodically in my blog. But back to j. walkin’...

Very much to my surprise, I have incorporated this into my AM walk some mornings. I feel my body getting stronger because of it and no longer fear that I will become incapacitated if I run. Thanks Kat for introducing me to another way to move my limbs. I’m not purring just yet. The sound I emit is more like the huff and puff of a she wolf. And heaven knows I don’t have the wind to even blow the little white puffs off a dandelion! But I’m getting there. So to all you treadmillers -- get off, go out and…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment