keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, September 13, 2009

treescape

outside the treehouse
the nightingales serenade
can you hear their song?

I don’t remember exactly when I got fixated on tree houses, not sure I’ve even been in one as I sit here typing. I did climb the huge magnolia tree just outside the screened in side porch at my grandparent’s house more times than I can count and still know the feel of the bark, the intoxicating fragrance of the creamy white blooms. It was peaceful among the branches, the closest thing to a tree house that I’ve experienced. If I recall correctly I was searching for a spa and stumbled upon information about tree houses built specifically for people to stay in as temporary lodging…hotel like rooms with a new kind of view. Intrigued, I guess I filed this image away in my head for probably ten years until it resurfaced a year or so ago.

My bedroom windows are almost floor to ceiling. Nothing but trees rest just outside the glass and one afternoon as I lounged lazily, I was mesmerized by the glints of sunlight dancing between the green leaves. One of my favorite things to do that stimulates my creativity is head for my bed for a late afternoon escape. I grab my journal, raise the soft white paper shades -- the room is now awash with the glow of the sun as it heads in for the day. I write poems, paint, collage, paste photos, capture my thoughts and giggle with delight in my own private tree house as the orchestra of buzzing, chirping and whatever is moving plays outside the window. If I’m lucky, a bird will perch on the ledge before it flits over to the magnolia tree...and I’m back at grandma’s. Look outside your window and as you create your own escape remember to…

keep your peepers open! ®

1 comment:

  1. I love it all! Have read all the entries and love the sensibility and sharing spirit. Ever since taking oil painting lessons some years ago, I have delighted in really looking at everything 'out there'. It's amazing what you can see (though harrowing, as I sometimes take my eyes off the road I'm driving for a bit too long!). Good luck with the blog & I plan to check back often. Maureen

    ReplyDelete