keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

designing women

If you have ever watched Inside the Actor’s Studio, you know that James Lipton asks his guests a final list of questions just before he opens it up to the audience. The one that gets my attention, besides what’s your favorite curse word, is other than acting what profession would you have pursued. My non-traditional career path had so many forks as I traveled along the way that a definite profession never appeared on a sign I could decipher, which used to bother me especially during job interviews. I would clearly articulate my experience; the person across the desk criticized me for not having direction. What I didn’t get as I nursed my bruised ego was I didn’t get it -- the quest to keep working in corporate was just a detour on my trip.

Some innate compass knew the exact pinpoints on my map and on occasion steered me to rest stops that did not feel like a place of relief at all! However, each had some valuable tool for the trunk and honestly, the things I deep down desired to be or do have manifested in ways I never could have imagined. I believed I would be a ballerina – I now incorporate dance and movement that anyone can do into my work. Kindergarten was the grade I longed to teach - I have developed and facilitated hundreds of workshops for a countless number of students of all ages. Sitting across from Mr. Lipton was surely a destination for the aspiring actress in me – I am a professional speaker whose stage changes with every speech or seminar I am asked to deliver. I pleaded to change my major to interior design in college – didn’t happen, didn’t need to, my natural ability to pull an esthetically pleasing room together would have been stifled by someone whose eye was not mine. But the biggest high on my journey was reconnecting with collage art, something I enjoyed while a maturing girl. Only this time around, the art is sophisticated on many levels, a cumulative expression of all that is my life.

To date, I have created 63 goddess collages that evolved from exquisite nude torsos that celebrate the luscious body to evocative extraterrestrial-like creatures with a semblance of heads, eyes and appendages to a sub-series of goddesses called the paper dolls. The dolls have allowed me to cruise back alongside the frustrated corporate chick that fled Croton-on-Hudson every Saturday morning to sit in the haven of a ten AM fashion design class at FIT in NYC. After school, I spent hours at the kitchen table dreaming up elaborate gowns, slick pants ensembles as I mastered every lesson. Present day, I lose all sense of time at the dining room table designing these paper doll women who fall out in distinctive clothing that I use every ounce of creative license to devise. A former clothes horse who climbed down from her saddle into a more streamlined look embellished by jewelry, style is never lost on me nor will it be on them.

It’s kismet. The writing is flowing and my passion for photography reignited just as I pulled up at the corner of artiste and haute couture with vintage LV luggage packed with all that is needed to do what I was sent here to be. Fits like a glove, suits me to a T, all I can say is…

keep your peepers open! ®

No comments:

Post a Comment