keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

snoy vey

And the snow continues in DC! These back-to-back storms really are unusual for this town witness our inability to get the stuff adequately cleaned off the streets so life can continue. I am a native Washingtonian who can’t believe the nation’s capitol is close to paralyzed because of the weather. SN-OY VEY! Just needed to do a mini-vent…

Snow for me is just wondrous. I remember my red puffy suit I wore as a toddler that made me waddle around like a scarlet penguin or maybe I should say I recall the pictures of me standing stiffly in it. We always seemed to be overdressed, i.e., overstuffed for the outdoor occasions that called for this attire. Snow suits were really something to contend with, especially if you had to go to the potty! Happy to say I have graduated to a more sophisticated look to bundle up in for a trek in this inclement weather (black down filled jacket coupled with black stretch pants over silk long johns) that allows for lots of mobility and quick access for emergencies ;).

Regardless of what I have worn throughout the years, the layers of clothing I piled on kept me toasty as I wandered out to marvel at snow. But there is something about this bizarre weather of late that has caused a serious shift in my norm. In order to capture a pix, I have dashed onto the cold concrete floor of my balcony in bare feet and nothing more than my favorite cashmere sweater, thrown a coat over my birthday suit, jammed my un-socked tootsies into ankle high all weather boots, grabbed a baseball cap and sailed out the door. The elements and I have become one, my body practically forgotten, and miraculously with each step into deep snow only an inconsequential amount of the moist powder has dropped into each boot giving me a rush…I shiver with glee every time it makes contact with my skin.

One of the things I have noticed while out and about are the different personalities each storm brings to fore. When I headed out at 4:30am on 2/3, there was such stillness in the air, like the earth was holding her breath, I know I was holding mine not wanting it to escape and shatter the silence. The air…soft kisses gently planting. The morning of 2/6, I was swathed in a warm blanket of cool snowflakes. I found myself speaking tranquil thoughts to the wind as it moved with ease around me arousing all of my senses. Today, I opened the drapes to a complete white out. My heart fluttered, the recently aroused photo eye desiring to capture a moment. But the storm is tempestuous on this Wednesday, the air frigid, unwelcoming. A blizzard that whipped my barely dressed bare self blew me back with some serious passion in her breath just after she granted me one shot and let me know…we’re all entitled to be a little nasty sometimes and this day was hers.

I’m gearing up to go out without the camera and just let momma nature do what she do. I believe a little snow spanking is just what I need to refresh my soul and spirit so…

keep your peepers open! ®

No comments:

Post a Comment