keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, January 30, 2011

beautilicious!

How dry I am and I don’t mean that I’m not drinking! How is it that when wet sleet, hail and snow falls, the air is so arid? My skin is scalier than a snake and yesterday I woke up in the middle of the night with a scalp so dry, it begged me to get up right then and give it a hot oil treatment. As I negotiated with my head, inside it was a recollection of my Grandmother putting olive oil into a bottle of regular lotion well before it was a premixed product (bet what she mixed up had more of the real thing than what is currently for sale). I used to think it odd that she did that and hadn’t thought about it since I was a kid having her ashy legs slathered with what I thought was way too greasy stuff. But of course she was on to something that with reformulation and the right packaging...

During the winter months, I find myself wandering from the beauty aisle over to those with condiments and other food stuffs to pick up supplies to make my own beauty maintenance products. Mayonnaise and raw eggs for a great hair conditioner; olive oil straight-up with a light touch for my face, a little heavier combined, yes with regular lotion for my body and warmed up for my scalp -- some Sundays, I’m downright munch-able if you have a hankering for a sandwich. But I like being able to go in the kitchen to figure out what I can create from delicious things in the fridge or cabinet to assist with the beauty ritual. It’s actually a fun creative outlet on a cold day when I don’t really want to leave the house because I’m out of conditioner. I would like to be more inventive, mix up more of the raw and sometimes unconventional ingredients used to make beauty products that I’ve read about in magazines however I’m a little timid. I followed the directions found on one page that suggested putting apple cider vinegar in shampoo to turn it into a clarifier that would cleanse the scalp. What it didn’t say was NOT if you color your hair. As my tresses turned from a perfect ash blonde to a scary what the hell orange, I headed out for a conventional mix to fix my mess!

Next weekend is my pamper weekend which I desperately need after a wicked in oh so many ways January but today is going to be a mini-spa day w fixin’s from the kitchen. I’m ready to get beautilicious baby so…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment