keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, October 9, 2011

week in review

As my birthday week off draws to a close, I am pleased to note that it has been beyond splendid as well as productive and uplifting. So much laughter and time shared with friends provided a spirited foundation for a lifestyle change; the past seven days was not just about celebration but restoration as I embarked on a wellness adventure. At first, I struggled with understanding the difference between alkaline and acidic foods and once I got somewhat of a handle on that, educating myself on what alkaline foods are also arthritis friendly. Yes, I’ve been diagnosed and decided to take action while it’s just a mild diagnosis; a change in what we eat can make a difference in the progression of something that affects millions.

Somewhere in the midst of the week, I turned to creativity or maybe it called out to me. Art has played a huge part in healing for me in my past and once again has helped me ease into managing an illness. I decided to begin keeping a journal again, something I abandoned once I got into writing the blog. As much as I enjoy blogging, nothing beats the tactile experience of writing with different color markers, scribbled drawings, pasting in pictures, painting with watercolors and making torn paper collages on a whim; the act of tearing provides a release of that well-buried mild anxious anger that comes with how did I let this happen.


For the first time, I actually decorated the front of my journal and did so with abandon yet meaning.


I also enlarged photographs of fruits and vegetables, cut them into pieces, reassembled them on top of an x-ray of my bones then put the picture into a frame, upon reflection knowing that what I was telling myself is that surrounding the challenge with healthy beauty is my way to wellness. That those words I found in a magazine, BE COLORFUL, were both an affirmation that the bright work I was producing in rapid succession for my eyes only was exactly what I needed as well as a reminder for what I should select to nourish the body, bones and joints.  

Taking photographs of pretty arrangements of food and understanding that it’s one step at a time, hence the bacon on the plate is quite helpful; there is something psychological about showing the mind pleasant visual images as a means to shift thinking and behavior.



But not all of my creative energy was channeled into dealing with health issues hence my sudden desire to make mini torn paper collages out of the bags my birthday gifts came in and send the picture as part of a thank you note.


And then there was my trip to the museum, which produced my own interpretation of some of the work I viewed…


…and a view of the museum.


It really has been a full birthday week which will now turn into my birthday month, days that I know will be filled with creative exploration in more ways than one. So as I lift a glass in celebration of health, wellness, and healing expression, I know for sure there is more to come...

keep your peepers open!®





No comments:

Post a Comment