keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, August 3, 2014

from the edge

The past few days have brought to my attention in high volume the things we take for granted giving me pause for thought.


Three days ago, I left my home for the first time since I came home from surgery on 7/18. We headed to my first post op visit where my bandage was finally removed and I was also given a green light to go outside for VERY short walks each day. Woo-hoo was how I felt as we stopped at the Whole Foods; I looked up at the sky around me before going in with my walker.

That said, I cannot get up and walk down the stairs and go out the front door unattended let alone jump in the car and drive somewhere until I am no longer using a walker and have better use of my right leg.

I gingerly stepped into the shower yesterday for the first time since 7/15, the morning of my surgery. I had to wait this long because my scar needed to dry out hence the joy about the bandage removal I spoke of above. Every hair and pore on my body sang the hallelujah chorus in silent unison as loud as they could as I bathed with someone standing outside of the shower just in case I lost my balance.

If I drop something, I cannot bend down to pick it up unless I use the wonderful tool I was given so long as the item is not heavy or too large/wide. I can no longer cross my legs. Last night as I used the step stool to help me get into bed, it tipped over; I felt the fear of dislocating my new hip. I repositioned, got situated on the edge, paused to catch my breath and found myself thinking back to when I was wheeled into recovery, thankful that I woke-up period and that I wasn’t groggy thanks to an epidural and local anesthesia. All seemed well until I realized I could not feel anything from the waist down. Though my mind told me I could wiggle my toes, none of them moved. Lying there, I remember being so very grateful that I would regain that ability within a few hours; not everyone has or will have that privilege. And that puts it all in perspective and keeps it real for me as I recuperate.


Be grateful and…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment