keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

from the hip

When I made the decision to have hip replacement surgery, I began to make changes in preparation for this event. The desire to be as ready as possible drove shifts in eating and exercise as I stepped up my mindfulness, meditation and self-Reiki practices. Four weeks have passed since my hip was replaced and as the days pass, I am so aware of the role of mindfulness in recuperation. Every step I take is taken with care and thought. The art of bathing has become a redefined ritual where I really must pay attention to how I get into and out of the shower, how I move about as the water cascades the soap over my limbs and down to the ceramic beneath my feet. Anything that involves movement from getting out of the bed to functioning in the kitchen to walking down the stairs is done, again with care and thought.

My expectations going into this were not great or unrealistic, however I did and still do have some because in recovery, expectations are the goals that set your progress. Sure I had a moment when I just wanted to get to the finish line, frustrated with how very slow this process is. I am now at peace with not really knowing where that line is, happy to just take note of each new change in the mobility of my hip, grateful for being completely in that moment.


Zen wins.

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment