keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, September 28, 2014

games we play

When we were kids, we played so many games, not online but with actual three dimensional pieces held and moved with our hands. A rousing game of Trouble, Clue, Battleship, Chinese Checkers, Operation to name just a few took place on any given Saturday at someone’s home down the block or if we went to visit pals who lived in another town. It was so much fun to scream and laugh as we interacted with our friends sitting next to and across the kitchen table from us.

As we grew older, we continued to enjoy games especially Boggle and Backgammon though I haven’t played in years; when I gather with friends these days, we engage in the play of lively conversation over drinks instead. However I do take time every now and again to indulge in a game that requires only me to be present -- jacks. The small red ball bounces as I quickly swipe up the metal jacks first one, then two until eventually all ten must be in my hand without dropping any…it’s still a challenge! I have loved this simple game since childhood because not only is/was it fun to play alone, it was also just the best to play with my girls.


I wonder if we ever again will see a time when kids interact more often than not with other kids rather than an electronic device, when all the homes on the block of any given city are safe places for children to visit friends. We can only hope and as you do...

keep your peepers open! ®

No comments:

Post a Comment