keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

habits

Not sure when, if ever, I have caught a 6:00AM train back to DC from Jersey visits much less the regional train (every possible stop between departure and destination) at that hour. There were several vacant seats, the quiet car was early morning people still not quite awake yet quiet, and I decided to sit on the sun coming up side of the train, something I rarely do. I sat with my thoughts after an emotionally draining few days; no headphones, no magazine, no emails, just me and the window, no camera capturing views. I reflected on my past, was forced to come to terms with some choices I and others have made. 

There is some truth to the statement, the apple does not fall far from the tree. I fell from the tree, made the choice to roll away while maintaining connection over the years; but the soil I was rooted in influenced and is still hindering some needed growth. This revelation shocked me, an independent woman who embraces and builds on the lessons learned from both her downs and ups. As the shock subsided, it was replaced with an immediate knowing that change was necessary which, under the circumstances means detangling my roots and finding clear ground to set myself down in. At the same time, it also means being grateful for the nourishment received from the roots on the land previously occupied, ensuring that there is a healthy connection from that plot to my new one, and making very sure that I’m so firmly planted once untangled that when I return to the old soil, it’s clear to all, including me, that I’m just visiting! 

Learned habits take root and are especially hard to break when they are encouraged, bring what in reality is temporary gratification, and eventually form part of our persona. Just because we’re adults does not mean we aren’t susceptible to a bit of root rot caused by any number of things, so if that’s the case, get to pulling and…

keep your peepers open!®


No comments:

Post a Comment