keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, July 3, 2016

the invasion

July in Washington, DC signals hot humid weather, pre sunrise and post sunset so I was delighted when the air was cool for several hours yesterday morning as I walked around the Tidal Basin then sat for chit chat with my bestie. I actually started feeling chilly as we enjoyed winding down, the grouping of chairs and tables placed rather randomly in a lot that will soon be the site of yet another high rise. 

It seems that no open space is safe in the District; a building a minute gobbles up the respite found in any location with natural surroundings. Trees a plenty, unobstructed views of the sky, minimal traffic, and low rise structures coupled with a lower cost of living are some of the things that brought me back here 16 years ago. Gone is that era. I don’t love seeing my place of birth being transformed into a concrete & glass jungle and fortunately my immediate neighborhood is protected from the crane invasion. Turning into my street from either end of a four block stretch, I am ushered home by a canopy of shading tree branches that also evoke a fairyland when snow covers them in winter. No matter what is being built or how nuts the traffic is every or anywhere else, my four blocks is sacred territory void of the invasion. It’s the reason I will hold onto my current residence even as I search for my dream home with gorgeous views of calming waters.

I stood up to turn my green adirondack chair towards the warmth of the sun and there on the arm was a big ladybug, bright red and running! She was moving so quickly, I had to laugh then wonder where she was on her way to. My advice to her is to hurry on over to Haines Point or Rock Creek Park where no building is allowed. At least she’ll be able to commune with undisturbed nature, undisturbed by the invasion. 

One can only hope so…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment