keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

jones green

I was recently engaged in a long conversation with someone who is young enough to be my daughter. Though we covered lots of ground, we spent a good deal of time dissecting how I managed through some of the more difficult moments of my past (I refer to them as moments because essentially that’s what they were, just short blips on the life screen, though when I was living them it felt like an eternity before they passed!). As I listened to her unfolding story, I winched a few times. If only we could stop people from walking into the all too familiar messes, traps, ugliness, pain…if only. But one thing I do know is we all have to do it our way in order for the lessons to hopefully be learned. Some of us, and that us includes me, have to repeat a few of the classes, the sting didn’t hurt enough the first time around to keep us from coming back for another spanking. Ouch!!!

Thankfully, I passed enough and have made it to the more seasoned years when it doesn’t take as long to get it or if it does, there is a consciousness about the decision to walk through difficulty; there are wisdom stones on those paths that we innately know need to be collected for the next part of the journey so we go. I’m also at that stage in life when I feel no guilt speaking the word no when needed, can acknowledge my role when things go off track and will apologize if warranted, own up to the fact that I still sulk and pout my lips at times but so what since it doesn’t last for very long, will tell my friends what they need to hear sans the layers of sugar coating and welcome the same from them, know that dwelling on why people do what they do is a serious waste of time, am not concerned with what others think and could care less about what everyone else is doing. Come to think of it, I’ve never really cared all that much about what others were doing, thought should be worn or where the in crowd was going. I remember when I first heard the term non-conformist. It slid over my head and clung to my body like a silk slip, morphed into a second skin that to this day allows me to follow my own mind and heart for better or worse. 


What I'm working my way to is an important part of that conversation I had with the person who is like a daughter. It had to do with keeping up with the Jones’s. Simply put, I've had a hard enough time keeping up with me let alone with some folks named Jones. And that Jones of Green Envy dress I mistakenly purchased in a haze of confusion many moons ago? It has been in the back of the closet for a very long time thank goodness but, I will admit that once in a blue moon the haziness drapes itself over me during a weak moment; trying on that garment makes me look small in a way that's far from flattering so back it goes!

Remember -- the grass is always greenest exactly where we stand, weeds and all! Keep your feet firmly planted, wiggle your toes around. If you’re meant to have something go somewhere, you will and it may not be just as you imagined or happen when you deem it so. As for all that glitter, well it’s just shiny stuff so sit still, be patient. The gold will come and while you wait…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment