keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

and the heat goes on

Summer officially arrived yesterday and boy do I know it! The temperature began to heat up several weeks ago which caught me so off guard. I just wasn’t prepared to wake to 90 degree days in late April and though we’ve had a bit of a reprieve since then, it is way hot again. Around this time every year, the foods I desire change as the heat rises. I’ve always loved summer fruit; the lush variety of colors, textures and tastes pleases the eye and tantalizes the palette. During a cooking demonstration the other day, I had an orgasmic experience as fresh organic watermelon and cantaloupe juices filled my mouth, saturated my throat. Haven’t wanted a juicer in the past, thinking one may find its way to my kitchen very soon! In the meantime, I will be cooling my heat down with refreshing sparkling cucumber water. The first time I drank the non-effervescent kind was at the spa many moons ago. I remember frowning at the tall sweating glass pitcher filled with water, ice cubes and slices of the green vegetable floating around. But once I took a sip, that frown disappeared.

I think I've shared in past blogs how much I crave soft serve ice cream, a.k.a. frozen custard, as the first bead of sweat drips down the side of my face. Only that rich creamy cold treat will do…or an ice cream sandwich that I let sit until the filling is just about to dribble making it easy to lick from around the sides of the cookie. Was it last year that I found that graham cracker and lime ice cream version of the tried and true chocolate and vanilla original?

I love finding a new variation on an old food. When I went grocery shopping this past Sunday, I found Eat Well Enjoy Life hummus made with edamame not chickpeas, sweet yellow peppers, black sesame seeds and ginger with hints of wasabi and tahini that is seriously yummy delicious! I stood at the kitchen counter and almost consumed an entire bag of sweet potato tortilla chips; it was hard to stop skimming one orange chip after another through the green mixture then gobbling it down! This hummus is truly scrumptious and for those who don’t care for chickpeas provides a nice alternative dip for whatever chip is your pleasure. I took a container of it to a pot luck lunch; it was practically inhaled by those around the table. (Note -- The company makes other combinations that use not only edamame but white beans and other ingredients as the base, the Food Should Taste Good chips also come in several savory flavors. I know what I’ll be bringing to barbeques this summer!).

So as the heat goes on, I will spice up the menu with new and different additions to satisfy my taste buds. And on those afternoons when it gets too unbearable, there’s always this to sit down under...


…ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment