keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, June 5, 2011

cuff me

My mother doesn't understand the concept of seasonal jewelry. I can’t explain it really except to say that certain stones and items resonate more with me at different times of the year. And now that summer has arrived, it’s all about the bangles and cuffs. Though I do wear bracelets when it’s cold, they are usually chain linked with the capacity to rest over my hand comfortably even when I have on something long sleeved. I find it hard to stack on lots of bracelets with a bulky sweater or jacket but on a bare arm, well I just created a wrist Cleopatra would be proud of by mixing real gold bangles with a few faux then tossing in some shiny brass. My arm not only looked glamorously chic but très expensive (and garnered lots of compliments!)
  
I comb the flea markets to find classy inexpensive treasures, shop the jewelry counters in both department and discount stores as I’ve found treasures in odd places. OMG, I saw a cuff made of horn online at an upscale store priced at over $200; I got two bangles at the outdoor market for $20. True the look is different, but it is just as effective at a fraction of the price... check the African vendors. Ethnic cuffs from Morocco, Tibet and Sierra Leone have made their way into my shopping bag (a couple of them felt like a steal they cost so little!). I lucked up on a set of six silk woven bangles for $50 at CUSP that spice up an outfit all by themselves or mixed in with either gold or silver additions (tip: leave those expensive woven bracelets in the store as fabric does ravel and fray; love mine, will miss them once their season is done but will be fine since I did not drop hundreds for them). I like mixing metals, bone, and woods, alternating chunky with slender, and am finally okay with matte and shiny combinations (it took me a minute with this, but once I did that stack, will never go back).

There is something so feminine about adornments for the arm. I like looking down at them as well as the way they look on my wrist. Not only are they sexy but when more than one is worn, they sing unique melodies when they touch each other, some that I’m happy to report have attracted the opposite sex. Cuffed, bangled or locked, my collection continues to stack up as the perfect compliment in the hot months when some days they, along with a pair of earrings and a ring are the only things I want to put on. ;)

keep your peepers open!®

1 comment:

  1. you could have an art show with your jewelry alone! love a good set of bangles... Cheers!

    ReplyDelete