keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, September 15, 2013

distance running

I relish meaningful quotes, saving some in my phone, writing others in my journal, sharing more on my blog or through emails. This one appeared recently, I now know why:

You can out-distance that which is running after you,
but not what is running inside you. - Rwandan proverb


Indeed, we can run but cannot hide from ourselves and for me there is something about one of my doctors that makes me spill everything I’ve been avoiding once I hop up on the table. Perhaps it’s because I don’t frequent any local watering holes to let the bartender suck down my sob stories while I throw back a few or maybe it’s because I’ve never been one to pour my heart out to chit-chatty hairdressers. I’m not Catholic, though I’ve wondered what it would be like to wander into a confessional and break it down to anonymous, and I don’t have a shrink. Actually, my girlfriends do a super job keeping me caught up with my real self however, I seem to be most vulnerable once I don that paper gown; last Tuesday was no exception. By the time I left the office, I was wiping away tears, had two prescriptions in my hand (I don’t take medicine unless I absolutely have to), was headed home back to bed (no more ignoring the bug I couldn’t seem to shake) and had come face-to-face with everything both personal and professional that I’d skillfully been dodging for months.

I did quite a bit of unloading before I put my clothes back on, made some decisions too. One I will share is simplifying my morning ritual. Following in the footsteps of many others who I admire, I added setting daily intentions to my routine; doing so is beginning to feel like when I try to conquer too much at once, not doing justice to any one thing I wish to accomplish. I love the changing of the seasons and for the time being, a seasonal intent just like capturing the foliage that goes with it, will slow my inner pace and fit me well…unlike that paper gown so…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment