keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, September 8, 2013

notes to self

It is weekend 2 of working on my commission for a goddess collage…I take note of a new appreciation for what artists go through when they are asked to create rather than creating freely.

The process of gathering clippings to create the collage was much the same as always -- whip through magazines and catalogs snatching pages with pictures that resonate with me -- with one exception. Normally I pull with no intention, piling up the table for some future sit down; I was now pulling with a purpose and a deadline. Last week, I allowed those two things to interfere with the freedom that comes when the table suddenly calls because a goddess is ready to be collaged into existence. The paper beneath my fingers was not talking to me as it usually does and though I did indeed see someone blossoming, the process felt unfamiliar which led me to another note to self. Over the years, the goddess collages have evolved from unclothed torsos to full bodied clothed beings meaning as they changed, so did my creative process; my commission is for the former. I was not at all sure I still had it in me to bring forth a creature similar in feel to the pieces made in the past but yesterday, something took hold of me when I sat down to the table. Spirit guided me to that space where my voice takes shape in collage form as naturally as day turns into night, where I simply had to let go of all expectation and preconceived notions so we could happen in the now.

And she is unfolding just the way she should, one piece of paper at a time beautifully, curvaceously and rather statuesque I must say! Unfortunately, you will have to wait until late October for the unveiling so…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment