keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, October 19, 2014

fresh

There must be a period of acclimation when one returns to work after such a long absence. It’s not so easy to step back into a world that is not as you left it for as we know, nothing stays the same from second to second let alone for months at a stretch. I have to say I felt out of place in a place I know so well as I moved along the corridors to find new doors carved into spots where artwork once hung, sat in my leather desk chair that my new hip knew nothing about knowing only the plush raised cushion at home, and connected with people I formerly knew only by a cordial nod of the head who now felt the desire to strike up a conversation wondering where I had been (rather nice actually that casual acquaintances missed my
presence and seemed genuinely empathetic about the reason for my long absence more than some who I know extremely well).

Try as I might, I could not find my rhythm this past week. Even the fact that I was arriving anywhere from 1- 2 hours earlier was a serious departure from my usual. So when the shuttle that takes me to and from where my car is garaged (there is not enough on-site parking at my office) veered off-course to avoid a serious traffic jam, I had a tiny, quiet hissy fit as we careened through a neighborhood I go to only when I need the FedEx office. For heaven's sake, could nothing be normal? I had no choice but to settle into my seat and simmer down since this ride was totally out of my control.

Taking in the scenery, I noticed the gray sky holding onto rain drops that would soon have to fall, trees clutching tightly to the last of their leaves, new condos ill-fitted between historical DC row houses and understood. The shuttle ride was just a metaphor for letting go, for charting another course to discover new things and to see familiarity with a fresh perspective, something we all could benefit from, so...

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment