keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

all hallows eve

With Halloween just a few days away, I got to wondering about a day that for some is such a huge treat, no pun intended. So here are just a few fun facts...

before pumpkins, folks carved turnips (I'm frowning with my nose looking like it has been under the knife, I don't like those little anemic looking bulbous vegetables)

the parade in The Village is the biggest in the USA with over 2M spectators and 50,000 participants (I remember that the one and only time I went to the fabulous parade was somehow one of the last major events I attended before I moved from the City a few days after Thanksgiving in 2000…took me 9 years to get there but better late than never and I treasure the wooden token someone threw to me that chilly night)

halloween may have been around for over 6,000 years (wonder what costumes they wore back then?)

in Scotland, hanging a wet sheet in front of a fire is believed to reveal future hubbies for single ladies (wonder if that will work in DC?)

orange is a symbol of strength and endurance (better put a pumpkin outside my door)

the word witch comes from the Old English word “wicce” which means wise women (so maybe not so bad to be called one, beats the other itch word)

Halloween has also been referred to as Snap-Apple (wonder if this is the origin for the naming of Snapple beverages?)

in China, lanterns shaped like dragons and other animals are hung to guide spirits back to their earthly homes (first thing that came to mind -- leave the light on....must be pretty though)

There are loads of other interesting facts about All Hallows Eve, just do a search and you’ll see! So wear your clothes inside out, walk backwards and you just might see a witch at midnight if you...

keep your peepers open!® 


No comments:

Post a Comment