keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

lovers paradise

I’ve been leaving out for my morning walks around 5:30 in an effort to get my time in before the sun obliterates the shady paths that I prefer AND because the temperature will be cooler at this time once it gets really hot so I’m proactively adjusting myself to a new schedule. On more than one occasion, I have come to a place that is a birds paradise especially for doves. 

The first time I turned into the somewhat secluded area, I was shocked to see so many of them along with babies who, through good fortune and being observant, I had seen in the nest weeks before. I’m a bit enamored by these lovey doves with distinct black eyes and pinkish-taupe feathers that walk or fly quickly away when I get too near; my efforts to capture a picture are often unsuccessful because they do get to
steppin’ when I approach. Still I marvel at their funny little waddle, the distinct sound they make when they fly away, the soft cooing that is communication, and the fact that their mate is never very far away. 

Perhaps the saying about the early bird catching the worm was spoken because there are more birds on the ground along my route now that I’m out before the sun is higher in the sky. I love hearing their chirping when I wake up to get dressed so upon my arrival at lovers paradise, I can’t help but stop for a moment to listen to the many songs and conversations in the air. When I move along, bidding them a good day, they either scurry out of my path or stand stiller perhaps watching, listening to and in wonder of me. 


Walking earlier has unveiled sights and sounds that, though I’m on familiar turf, are refreshingly new. My plan is to walk each of my normal routes (I have several that ensure at least 10,000 steps) starting at 5:30 to discover whatever there is to find at that time so…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment