keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

holiday blues

Each year I have the pleasure of picking decorations for a children’s hospital. As I perused Pier 1 last week, I spotted a big container of red, green and gold ornaments that seemed like the perfect mix of color and design. But as I placed it up on the counter along with my other items, I was not enthused suddenly struck by the holiday blues -- just above the register was a huge snowflake covered in glittery blues and purples. My eyes grew wide, my mouth gapped open. As it spun around, I did too with that container in hand as I began to rethink not just the color palette but my entire concept of decorating.

Snowflakes are non-denominational, airy, pretty representing the entire winter season. I visualized a hanging arrangement that combined lots of tiny whites along with some medium sized blue, green and turquoise balls that I spotted on the Mardi Gras tree, one of several in Pier 1. Of course I had to get several of those big blue flakes and bought all that they had! Going in this direction would be less offensive more encompassing. So if you are just bored with the thought of green and red schemes or don’t believe in any of the religious or cultural celebrations but love the idea of sprucing up, go winter not holiday seasonal. Add in some snow people, glass icicles that reflect light beautifully, pine cones and greenery to bring nature’s scent into a space, white roses, or anything else you find that speaks to winter and go for it.

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment