keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

nature calling

As I caught up with magazine reading last week, I came upon an article about "repeatedly giving attention to one patch of Earth" for an extended period. While I have not done this daily for a year as did the subject of the piece I read, I do find myself visiting the same gardens often.

The rose garden next to the Smithsonian Castle is one of the most divine spots within walking distance of my abode. I return each year taking photographs of the flowers at different phases of their growth cycle throughout the spring, summer and autumn. I never tire of spending time amongst the bushes so this past Sunday I decided to put into practice establishing a relationship with one thing in nature. I favor white or cream colored roses; love the delicate etching of pink along the edges of some petals. In the shade on a bright morning, they become almost opalescent, iridescent, dreamy, hypnotic. After 30 concentrated minutes looking at each flower on the bush, I focused the lens on one in full bloom



and another with just a few petals left



before stepping out of the dirt to take pictures of other roses,

flowers,



plants,


and animals!

However as I moved amongst the beauty planted and maintained by people I thank whenever I see them, I felt much more connected to that patch of garden where the garden party tea rose grows. Will I go everyday? More than likely not though I know I will now always stop at that corner when I walk, will take
pictures every time I am there, and am very aware that I rooted where I stood last Sunday.

Nature is calling! Get outdoors and...

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment