keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, July 21, 2013

shore notes


As I walked along the shoreline each morning, I note that each beach I visit has its own distinctions. Cape May is dotted with small rocks and smooth pebbles (I became obsessed with collecting coral-colored ones) mixed in with the shells


and in places, the sand looked like fabric. Water-etched patterns created sand carpets that I was careful not to disturb.


Then I came across what in my eyes appeared as a beach fairy goddess.


Even my shadow became its own work of abstract art.


Looking ahead eyes focused downwards, the seagulls ran in front of me tending to their business, their tiny footprints minute alongside mine.


I caught one perched on one leg.


A school of dolphins was out for their morning swim first heading east; about 30 minutes later they re-appeared this time swimming, jumping, frolicking parallel to the beach as if they knew a bunch of us had gathered to watch the fun. I was so involved in the show that I almost stepped on this horseshoe crab; I had to flip it back over several times as the waves kept turning it on its back.


My other obsession -- the tall red and white lifeguard chairs. I can't explain as they don't necessarily invite one to have a seat though early in the morning, many do climb up to capture sunrise or just gaze out at infinity.


I greeted each warm vacation day kissed by the first rays of sun, feet washed by the cool ocean. After at least two hours of bliss, the beauty continued with gardens to guide me back; my hotel was a block from heaven.


keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment